Click Here for a 3D design consultation with our interior designers!
Interior design is not all about aesthetics. The point is to make the most of the space. Optimise functionality while making it look good.
Sufficient storage space and counter space are absolute must-haves in a kitchen. Inadequate and awkward kitchen spaces can quickly feel claustrophobic. They might be a challenge. But definitely one you can achieve.
Read on for some clever design ideas for a small kitchen interior.
Small, simple kitchen design tricks to make your small kitchen look spacious
Getting the layout right in any room is vital to fully use the space. Here are some layout and placement tips and tricks for a small modern kitchen design.
● Parallel counters, L-shaped and U-shape counter placements
work well for small but wide kitchens. An easy, simple kitchen
design tip is to have the refrigerator, the sink and the hob
along the lines of a triangle. This placement is called the
golden kitchen triangle. Positioning the kitchen essentials like
so makes moving around the space more accessible.
● If the kitchen is long and narrow, a single wall counter will
ensure that there is enough room to move around.
● Another small kitchen design tip to make it look spacious is to
draw the eye all around the room. Ceiling high cabinets will
draw the eye upwards, giving the illusion of a taller space.
Large windows, typically those that cover the span of the wall,
will do the trick.
● The vertical space in a room is often ignored. Open cabinets,
floating shelves and pegboards all utilise it well. Additionally,
using these in the kitchen will allow the eye to move around
the area as well.
● Small open kitchen design - In small houses, open plans, especially ones merging kitchen and living room, can make the space look spacious.
● Kitchen islands are great for small open kitchen designs. They add much-needed surface area and can act as an area divider. To maintain the
openness of the space, ensure that the island has an open bottom with exposed legs rather than cabinets.
● White interiors are the obvious choice to make any room feel
spacious. This is because whites reflect light the most, making
the room feel light and airy.
● A neutral colour palette, particularly a light one, also has the
same effect as white. To top it off, neutrals are easier on the
eyes and make for a great canvas for bolder accents.
● Do you prefer a more colourful palette but want to achieve an
effect similar to whites? Then pastels are the way to go.
Pastels are soothing and light. A simple kitchen design idea is
to use them cohesively in the kitchen to make it look spacious.
● A cohesive colour scheme without stark contrast or tonal
difference will ensure that the eye moves around the room
without interruptions, making it seem open and airy.
● A small, simple kitchen design is to opt for a dual-toned kitchen. Keep the bottom cabinets darker to define the layout and ground the design.
A lighter tone for upper wall units will make the kitchen feel spacious by drawing the eye upwards.
● Horizontal lines make a space look wider, and vertical lines make it look longer or taller. Use planks or tiles for floors that enhance the
dimensions of the kitchen.
● Use directional patterns such as planks, herringbone, etc., for flooring. This will keep the eye moving through the space, making it appear
● Backsplashes are another element to add colour and pattern to the kitchen. Use options that provide clean lines to get clean lines and a
clutter-free look, such as brick-shaped tiles stacked horizontally.
● If you're designing your house from scratch or are looking to
give it a complete makeover, make sure to install large
windows in the kitchen. Natural light can make a space feel
larger. Ensure that curtains or blinds do not obstruct the
windows in the kitchen.
● Overhead lights, recessed or pendants are good options for a
small kitchen. Recessed lighting provides a sleek look.
Pendants can be used as accent pieces to add visual interest
to the kitchen.
● Kitchens typically lack proper lighting, making them appear
closed off. Apart from the regular ambient light, artificial lighting can be added to the cabinetry- library lights, LED strips, etc., for additional
tasks or area-specific lighting. Enough lighting is essential to make a room look spacious.
● Mirrors are a must for any small space, and small kitchens are
no different. Mirrors reflect light through the room, making it
● Based on the same principle, any reflective material would
function the same as mirrors in the room. Marble, granite, and
metals are therefore ideal materials for kitchens. High gloss
materials such as these allow the light to bounce around the
● Glass and other see-through materials can also make the
space feel larger. By being able to see through it, the walls feel farther away, adding depth to the room. Glass doors for cabinets is one way to do it. Drinkware, stemware, etc. are made of transparent material and can double duty and be used as décor.
● Using too many disparate materials with different finishes and colours can make the kitchen look cluttered and busy. A mismatched look makes the room feel cramped. A cohesive design will provide a streamlined and sleek look.
● Out of sight storage is key to making a space feel spacious. A
small modular kitchen design for the kitchen can help you
keep things organised.
● With modular storage such as pull out pantries, solutions for
awkward corners, wire baskets, etc., you can now store away
everything—clear counters aid in making a small kitchen look
● Modular kitchen designs for small kitchens are favourable also
because they are cost-effective and are not labour intensive.
● Another way to streamline and maximise storage is to get
organisation accessories like risers, lid organisers, compact
dish rack by sink, etc. These will decrease the clutter.
● The furnishings in any room ought to be proportionate to the
room's dimensions. For a small kitchen, to retain a roomy feel,
opt for slender furnishings that are visually lightweight. Clean
lines are a staple of modern design styles. This is because
clean lines allow for visual continuity.
● Get a sink with a cover to increase counter space.
● A floating table that can be folded away on an empty wall will provide additional surface if needed, but it will not t
● Open shelves make a small kitchen appear bigger by adding depth. Ensure that the items on these floating shelves are organised
meticulously to avoid a disarrayed look.
● Hardware and trims can be visually distracting. With more standout or ornate options, the eye is forced to stop and take in the details. The
break-in visual continuity can make a room feel less open.
● Modular kitchen designs for small kitchens are excellent options since they are sleek and efficient. Since they are highly customisable,
a simple small modular kitchen can feel palatial. With specific expert tips for a small modular kitchen, you can make space for all the
essentials without the room feeling claustrophobic. You can tuck away all the appliances with modular designs, leaving the countertops free.
Beautiful Homes provides a massive range of services and products to help you create a personalised small modular kitchen design. You may select all the essentials you need from our shop.
Our expert services include Interior Design Services to help you design a small modular kitchen best suited to your style and needs. Specific and specialised services comprise Quick Home Makeover services, Safe Painting Services, Colour Consultancy Services Online, Wood Solutions and Design Wall Makeover.
Visit our website to check various options offered and projects executed by us so far. If you wish, you can book your 3D consultation call to understand the project's process, design, and execution or walk into any of our stores across India.
Our current stores are spread across Amritsar, Tumakuru, Raipur, Jaipur, New Delhi, Kochi, Karur, Coimbatore, Bengaluru and Nashik. In addition, we are in the process of opening up state-of-the-art stores across several cities.
Fill out this form and our Customer Experience Specialist will reach out to you.
The key to a great small kitchen layout is good planning to ensure the room meets all your needs. Here are our space-saving design ideas for your small kitchen
Parallel Kitchens are the perfect solution to all your needs, get to know why parallel kitchen designs are a great choice for your home
Let’s take a look at why measurements and dimensions are an important part of a kitchen design and the ten standard kitchen measurements that you must know when designing your dream kitchen
A modern kitchen backsplash tile is one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways with which you can transform the look and feel of your kitchen. Here are some innovative backsplash designs to make a small kitchen look more spacious