Keep your spices in order with our easy organising tips
The struggle to keep the spices from mixing and mingling is real. Nothing is more frustrating than finding traces of turmeric in the chilli powder, or worse, grains of mustard in between a heap of cumin. While we have blamed quite a few culinary failures on it, we do know that it holds little weight. However, what we do know is that an organized spice rack is the first step towards an enjoyable cooking experience.
Here are our tips to keep things in the modern kitchen mess-free:
1. First and foremost, do away with opaque jars. Half the spillage and the accompanying frustration comes from having to open a
dozen different boxes for the right spice as the hot oil sputters away.
2. Opt for transparent or semi-transparent bottles or jars, which at the first glance itself tell you what’s inside.
3. If your space allows it, then have separate sets for whole and grounded spices.
4. If you can’t get transparent jars, then use labels to name them. You can use chalkboard style labels for a distinctive look.
5. Always keep the spice jars easily accessible – on a shelf or in a drawer.
6. If space is a constraint you can even get yourself tin cans with magnets at the bottom, and stick these to the chimney, right above
7. Keep separate mini spoons for each of your spices so you don’t end up using one for the other thereby contaminating them.
8. You can even recycle tin tea containers or the used herbs’ containers since they have pre-set openings that allow you to control the
amount of spice you want to add.
Use semi-transparent jars to store your spices so you know at the first glance what’s inside each.
Chalkboard style stickers are a distinctive way of labelling the spices.
Keep separate jars for whole and grounded spices, which will help avoid them from getting mixed up.
Caring for your silverware isn’t nearly as daunting as you may think. Samrat Zaveri, Managing director at Shaze Luxury Retail gives us a few tips to help keep things sparkly
Tarika Singh, baker and founder of the popular blog To the T helps us with a list of baking essentials every kitchen must have
Ever thought of cake stands as decor? Give that cake stand a modern twist with our Christmas décor ideas
With so many new options flooding the market, you are spoilt for choice. And then there’s the predicament of looks and styles. We got blogger, Nandita Manwani of www.homedesignbangalore.com to share with us the pros and cons of each of these surfaces