Click Here for a 3D design consultation with our interior designers!
Modular kitchens are becoming the must-have design element in Indian homes. Sleek, streamlined and practical design and a clean, minimal aesthetic are the quintessential features of modular kitchen design. We have compiled some FAQs as a guide to help you create your own modern modular kitchen design.
Each module in a modular kitchen is designed to optimise the use of space. With these modules and other accessories, you can conveniently access all kitchen areas, nooks, and crannies. This provides ample storage space, thereby allowing you to add accessories and kitchen appliances that probably wouldn’t fit in a traditional kitchen design.
Traditional kitchen units are material and labour intensive. This may make some designs quite expensive. Modular kitchen units are mass-produced in factories, in standard sizes and with minimal waste. Since each unit is prefabricated, it only needs to be installed at the site instead of being made from scratch. Combined, all these factors allow modular kitchen sellers to price them at a relatively lower rate, making it a more economical option.
The process of installation and dismantling is relatively easy. You only need to connect and join the various elements of a unit.
Modular kitchen designs do an excellent job balancing functionality and aesthetics. They are a relatively inexpensive way to go should you wish to makeover your kitchen.
You can select any material you want for modular kitchen designs; there are no restrictions. Your choice might be limited based on the offerings of the seller or service provider you choose.
The carcass or the main structure of the modular kitchen can be made of wood, plywood, MDF, Boiling waterproof plywood, particleboard, high-density high moisture resistant board, stainless steel, etc. These materials are suitable for modular kitchen cabinets, shutters and pull out units. PVC modular kitchens have also become popular since it is a durable and cost-effective material.
Laminate, acrylic, membrane, PU, glass and veneer are some materials used as finishes in modular kitchen designs.
For visible hardware such as knobs, handles, pulls, etc., you may choose from standard options such as wood, crystal, glass, metals like brass, stainless steel, nickel, etc. Selecting the proper material for modular kitchen hardware can instantly enhance the décor of the kitchen.
An equally important part of modular kitchens is the invisible hardware such as hinges, door catchers, latches, backplates, sliding pulls, tracks, etc. For the smooth functioning of your modular kitchen, ensure that quality hardware is used in its design.
As with materials for carcass and hardware, you may opt for any of your choice for the kitchen counter top. Wood, granite, marble, ceramic tiles, laminates, stainless steel, etc., are popular countertop choices. Granite kitchen countertops, marble countertops, and wood can be pretty expensive, so always check for the square footage rate of the materials. Waterproof materials, those that can withstand heat and are scratch-resistant, are desirable options.
There are plenty of options for modular kitchen colours. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
● You may opt for a monochromatic palette for a minimalist design Focus on shapes and textures to bring in visual interest. Ensure that you
break up the monotony by introducing various shades and tints of the colour. This will also add some depth to the room.
● Neutral combined with white tones will make the kitchen look spacious and add warmth to it.
● Opt for black cabinets and walls with metallic accents for a contemporary industrial vibe.
● Pick a base colour and add pops with a complementary hue—for example, muted green and yellow, greys and pink terracotta, etc.
Modular kitchen designs are flexible. Therefore, you can incorporate any appliances you need in the kitchen design. Many devices such as microwave, oven, refrigerator, dishwasher etc., can be consolidated as in-built kitchen appliances. You can choose to hide them behind shutters or cabinets for a more sleek and uniform look. Other movable appliances such as blenders, air fryers, etc., can have dedicated spaces in drawers or cabinets to ensure that the countertops do not get cluttered.
● Trays to organise all the cutleries, knives, condiments, etc., in drawers.
● Baskets to organise different kinds of utensils, pots and pans. It is also helpful to keep your cleaning supplies in order.
● Have a drawer or two dedicated for bottle pullouts. They make efficient use of narrow paces.
● A double panel tall unit kitchen accessory works well as a pantry, especially in a small kitchen. This’ll optimise the use of the vertical space
in the kitchen.
● A single panel tall unit kitchen may work better in narrower areas.
A modular kitchen design is a composite of cabinets, drawers, island units, wheeled trolleys, and accessories listed above. Let’s consider various ways you can integrate modular elements in your kitchen. Always consult with your service provider to know what can be done to achieve the best possible results.
● In case you are starting from scratch; you may be designing a new home or remodelling it. You can opt for a kitchen with only a modular
design in such cases. All you have to do is measure the space and choose a layout. The service provider will customise each unit accordingly.
● Suppose you want to add certain modular elements to your existing kitchen design. In that case, you may do so by installing specific units or
adding accessories to it. For example, you may switch your cabinetry for a pull-down one for easy access.
● If you have counters and other frameworks in place, you may choose to install modular kitchen drawers, cabinets and some accessories.
It is safe to assume that most manufacturers will provide a standard warranty. They may provide a replacement warranty in cases such as defects, but it may not account for any wear and tear caused by the owners. It is best practice to check the manufacturer’s policies before making a purchase.
Most modular kitchen designs are easy to maintain. Based on the materials you’ve chosen for various components, some specific care might be required. Make sure to read all the care instructions provided by the manufacturer. Following are some general tips you can utilise.
● Regularly wipe down counters, shutters, drawers, and other surfaces with a clean, dry rag.
● Remove any stains and splatters immediately using a clean cloth or paper towel by blotting.
● Regular servicing of the invisible and internal hardware is essential for their smooth functioning.
● Do not overload cabinets and drawers. Doing so may damage the carcass and the hardware.
● Avoid using harsh and abrasive cleaners to prevent discolourations, scratching, and other damage to the finish of the surfaces.
Modular kitchen prices may vary based on the kitchen area, the number and types of units required, the materials and finishes used and the service charges. These factors may vary in degree and kind depending on the kitchen space and your budget. This will, in turn, change the cost of the modular kitchen. Of course, a fully modular kitchen will cost more than if you were to install only one unit or a few accessories. The best way to proceed is to get an estimate from your contractor.
Beautiful Homes provides a massive range of services and products to help you create a personalised modular kitchen design. You may select all the essentials you need from our shop.
With our expert Interior Design Services, get a modular kitchen best suited to your style and needs. Give your kitchen, and maybe even your home, a makeover with our Quick Home Makeover services, Safe Painting Services, Colour Consultancy Services Online, Wood Solutions and Design Wall Makeover.
Visit our website to check various options offered and projects executed by us so far. You may book your 3D consultation call to understand the project’s process, design, and execution or walk into any of our stores across India.
Our current home décor stores are spread across Amritsar, Tumakuru, Raipur, Jaipur, New Delhi, Kochi, Karur, Coimbatore, Bengaluru and Nashik. In addition, we are in the process of opening up state-of-the-art stores across several cities.
Fill out this form and our Customer Experience Specialist will reach out to you.
Find the perfect kitchen colour inspiration, as we share how to choose a colour scheme that flatters and enhances your kitchen and is in line with your style
Crockery cupboards have been around for centuries and are classic pieces of furniture that provide storage solutions as well as enhance your home décor. Here are some classy crockery cabinet designs that you will love
Check out the most useful modular kitchen accessories that are super versatile and pick the one which fits your kitchen the best
These small but stylish modular kitchen ideas will inspire your next makeover