Create more space in your small dining room with these innovative décor ideas
For the imaginative, space isn’t a huge constraint. All you need is some planning and ingenuity to overcome the set boundaries. Use these smart solutions to enhance the size of a small dining room.
1. A floor to ceiling mirror will create the illusion of more space. Placing a table adjoining it can make a four-seater appear like a table
2. Choose symmetrical and streamlined furniture for an organised look, which looks spacious.
3. Use a glass top to make the space look open. Similarly, opt for chairs with smaller frames and no arms. Acrylic chairs look lighter
and airy compared to wooden ones.
4. In case of a rectangular table, replace two chairs with a single, long bench to cut the bulk. For drama, replace the bench with a sofa.
5. To hang above the table, choose chandeliers that are small and delicate rather than elaborate and bulky.
6. Use wall mounted folding tables with flaps that can be pulled up when you need more table space. Folding chairs can come in
handy when extra guests walk in.
7. Choose sheer curtains/ blinds as opposed to blackout ones. Light monochromatic shades with colourful accents give an impression
of more room.
8. Floating shelves on the wall instead of a sideboard cabinet also makes the place visually light.
Use mirrors extensively to create the illusion of having more space. Place a table adjacent to it so that the scene appears as an extended image, thus making the area look bigger.
For a more dramatic flair, replace chairs with a sofa. Another trick is to use a round table with a central stand so that chairs can be pushed all the way through, occupying less space.
Replace chairs on one side of the table with wooden benches for a cleaner, streamlined look. They also occupy less space and can seat a greater number of people.
If you have a slightly constricted dining space, opt for a small dining table. Chairs with smaller frames and no arms also make the space seem bigger.
Mumbai based interior designer Minnie Bhatt, founder of Minnie Bhatt Design gives us nifty tips on dealing with unexpected arrivals at your Diwali dinner party
Browse through our collections to see 5 inspiring dining room designs and pick-up the one which suits your style the best