Retire your vanilla side table to jazz up your bedroom with our alternate suggestions. Read on to find out more
Who said you can’t have fun with your existing bedroom interiors? All it takes is a little innovation and some resourcefulness to turn around the room by mixing some furniture. Find out how you can give a facelift to your sleep corner by simply changing the side table.
1. Swap your nightstand for etageres (open shelf-like unit for displaying jewellery) or open shelving units like a tall, narrow bookshelf or
a ladder shelf.
2. Consider wall mounted pieces like floating, horizontal or box shelves lined to the ceiling.
3. Invest in lamp combinations like a floor lamp with an attached table or lamp with open shelves.
4. If there’s enough space next to your bed, you can place a bench or even a simple metal / wooden chair.
5. Larger bedrooms can accommodate a narrow console or chest of drawers. Try a mirrored one to add a bit of drama.
6. Hanging shelves are a great way to bring a little fun to your room.
7. Sand down an old wood stool or give it a coat of distressed paint. Step stools and ottomans also work well.
8. Place a stack of coffee table books or magazines and add a tray on top to make sure the books don’t get damaged.
9. Stack vintage suitcases or metal trunks one on top of the other.
10. If you have pets, a wood box or cat tree can work as a nightstand and pet bed. Cover the top of a pet carrier with a piece of wood or glass to give it a finished look and place a blanket inside to make it comfortable.
11. Refurbish that old bar cart or trolley as a bedside table with open shelves. Paint it a dull gold for a metallic highlight in the room.
12. Wooden crates work well when placed sideways. Place one on top of the other for height and added storage.
Look for a tall floor lamp with an in-built table to double up as a light as well as a storage place.
If you don’t have enough space next to your bed, try going vertical with hanging side tables to take care of your needs.
If you are a pet owner, you can use a pet house or tree as your bedside table. This will give your pet a place to rest too, so they won’t be scampering up yours for some shut eye.
If you have enough space next to your bed, include a bench with multiple drawers and shelves. This will also allow you to put your showpieces on display.
Wooden crates work well as bedside tables to induce some warmth. Stack them vertically for more storage space.
A humble console can also do the trick of replacing your side table. The best part is that you can experiment with several styles and colours.
Old suitcases and trunks can also be repurposed as side tables. If you want, attach legs on it or just stack one on top of the other to get your side table.