Architects, designers, politicians, musicians on our dream list of people to break bread with
We all have that dream list – the people dead or alive we admire that we would love to dine with. While it was hard to choose just 23, our Christmas dinner invitations are ready and so is our list:
1. Marc Newson, Industrial Designer
We want to know which thing he is brilliantly reinventing next.
2. Alexander McQueen, Fashion Designer
We miss the work of this fashion maverick and getting one evening with him would be everything.
3. Zaha Hadid, Architect
Oh what would we give for a long conversation over some mulled wine with this larger-than-life supremely talented trailblazer!
4. Sabyasachi Mukherjee, Fashion Designer
We hope to ply the designer with some egg nog and get inside details on all the big Bollywood weddings he has styled this year.
5. Phillipe Starck, Designer
From chandeliers to yachts, there is nothing that this man can’t make more striking with his unconventional perspective and we are here rapt, ready for some roast chicken and conversation.
6. Maya Angelou, Poet and Civil Rights Activist
We want as many nuggets of wisdom as possible from the woman Oprah herself calls mentor.
7. Kate Spade, Fashion Designer
We would love to have the designer back for a day so we can tell her how much her fun and optimistic fashion impacted women.
8. Anthony Bourdain, Celebrity Chef and Travel Documentarian
He brought the world together through food, and we would be delighted to have him at our dining table.
9. Le Corbusier, Architect and Urban Planner
Just sitting next to the legend would be an education.
10. Frank Lloyd Wright, Architect and Interior Designer
More than ever today we need to learn from the proponent of ‘organic architecture’. He can help us save the environment over some Christmas pudding.
11. John Oliver, Comedian and Political Commentator
He is biting, he is knowledgeable and hilariously self-deprecating, the qualities of the most engaging guests at any party.
12. Anita Lal, Founder Good Earth
To have the grand dame of Good Earth enjoying our place settings would be an absolute honour.
13. BV Doshi, Architect
The legend won the 2018 Pritzker Prize and this is more than reason to celebrate.
14. Elon Musk, Entrepreneur
We need to know when we can travel to Mars.
15. Martha Stewart, Entrepreneur and TV Personality
Who better to show off our cooking and styling skills to?
16. Jamie Oliver, Celebrity Chef
We plan to charm him into cooking something from his Christmas recipe book.
17. Tom Dixon, Product Designer
A peek into his design and manufacturing process while digging into the leg of ham would make this evening a memorable one.
18. Edward Enninful, British Vogue Editor
British Vogue’s first black editor has been doing some pathbreaking work since taking over and we want to raise a toast to him.
19. Rahul Dravid, Cricketer
We miss the cricketer in action and would like to know what he has been up to since retirement.
20. Freddie Mercury, Singer-Songwriter
We would wine him and dine him in the hope of a live rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody.
21. Serena Williams, Tennis Player
From tennis and feminism to motherhood, we want her opinion on everything.
22. Angela Merkel, German Chancellor
The opportunity to break bread with one of our favourite female politicians is something we dream of.
23. Michele Obama, Former First Lady of the United States of America
We have always wanted to know what Christmas at the white house is like behind the scenes.