Click Here for a 3D design consultation with our interior designers!
With changing trends, many now choose to deck up the ceiling as the statement wall in the room. The improvements and advancements in false ceiling tech have made this all the more possible. You can now achieve seamless, sleek interiors with false ceilings that elevate the room's aesthetics.
But with ample options out there, it can get challenging to find the right option for you. Read on to find out all the pros and cons of various false ceiling materials and where you can use them.
POP sheets for ceilings are arguably the most popular material for false ceilings. Plaster of paris is a fine powder mixed with water on site. This makes the POP ceiling sheet price affordable. The mixture of POP and water can be cast into any shape and design. As it dries, it retains this shape. This makes it the best material for false ceilings with ornate designs. Due to its malleability, you can use it in conjunction with other materials for a bespoke contemporary look. Or you can opt for vintage and antiques inspired designs with intricate patterns.
● It is highly durable.
● Pretty versatile in terms of the designs you can create with it.
● It can easily be joined, spread and leveled. This makes the overall design pretty seamless.
● Cheaper than gypsum.
● Installation is a tedious process. It can take quite long to dry, and you have to be careful that the surface is completely dry before you lay it on.
● Making the mixture is an exact science. If not done right, it can shrink or crack upon drying.
● It can get messy and create a lot of waste if not handled with skill.
Living rooms and bedrooms
Gypsum is a hydrated calcium sulfate that is soft and lightweight. Gypsum boards are made of pressed gypsum powder enveloped in paper. This easy to install material comes in various sizes and can be used as false ceiling tiles, panels or sheets. You can achieve a seamless look with it. If left smooth, it can echo in interiors. It is a fire-resistant material and can be used for soundproofing.
● It is versatile in size and format and is quite durable in dry
● It is lightweight, economical and easy to install.
● Fire resistance and soundproofing are much-needed qualities, especially in urban living.
● You can use paint, wallpaper and even laminate as a finish.
● It is non-biodegradable and difficult to recycle and therefore not an environmentally-friendly option.
● Since it is not moisture resistant, you can use it in only certain rooms. If you live in a humid environment, it may get moldy.
● Replacement is a tedious process.
Living room, bedrooms, guestrooms, house office, study room.
PVC is an excellent option for false ceilings as it is low-maintenance, easy to clean and lightweight. It is moisture-resistant and holds its shape pretty well. Since it is non-absorbent, you can easily add lighting, air vents, and other fixtures. The PVC false ceiling sheet price varies based on its type and quality.
● Its moisture and termite resistance makes PVC false ceiling boards, panels, etc., a viable option for all the rooms in the house.
● Reduced chances of sagging.
● Requires only minimal maintenance.
● Its durability and longevity make it an attractive choice.
● It is available in a wide range of styles, finishes and colors.
● PVC is lightweight, making installation easier.
● Some PVC false ceiling sheet prices can be pretty steep.
● Since it is a synthetic material, it may get damaged due to heat from lights.
● Its plastic appearance may make it less aesthetically appealing for many.
Suitable for all rooms in the house.
Fiber false ceiling sheets are a composite of natural and synthetic materials such as tar, asphalt, vegetable fiber, wood, etc. The fibers from natural elements reinforce the strength of the resultant material. It is fire-resistant and has remarkable acoustic abilities.
In home interiors, it is primarily used as a soundproofing material. Glass fiber and mineral fiber are the best materials for false ceilings in regards to soundproofing. The combined use of these two can provide the maximum benefits of excellent acoustics and soundproofing.
● Reduces echo, thereby enhancing the acoustics.
● Some types are not susceptible to moisture and damage from other elements.
● Increased strength and durability.
● Not the most aesthetically pleasing option.
● Some varieties can be quite heavy and therefore difficult to install.
● Requires constant maintenance.
Any room that requires soundproofing- home theaters, studies, home offices, etc.
Metals' luster and sleekness make it a popular option for contemporary interiors. You can use metal false ceilings as tiles, planks, and panels. Aluminum and galvanized iron are the two most common options for metal false ceilings.
● Highly durable material
● Less prone to sagging than other false ceiling materials
● It fits in with contemporary and industrial design styles
● You can take apart a piece easily to access the ceiling and all the hidden components
● It can be quite expensive, especially when compared to POP or gypsum
It is generally used for commercial and other office spaces.
Glass is a good option for a false ceiling design if you want higher dispersion of light. Its transparency lets the light from the recessed fixtures through without any obstruction. It is known for its brittleness. But with improved technology, with specific processes and admixtures, this flaw can be combated.
● A great option to make rooms brighter and airier.
● It is available in a large selection vis-a-vis color, pattern, transparency, and laminations.
● You can use it to turn the ceiling into the focal point in the room.
● It is a good insulator.
● Much less durable than other materials.
● It can be difficult to maintain.
You can use it in any room
● It can hide all the ductwork and wirework, lending a clean and sleek appearance to the room.
● Use it to add architectural elements to the room at a much lower price than traditional ceiling treatments.
● Depending on the material, it can enhance the acoustics of the room.
● It is an excellent option as a layer of soundproofing.
● False ceilings work well as insulators and, therefore, can be an energy-efficient element in your home.
● An incursion of pests in the gap between the ceilings can lead to many nuisances.
● False ceilings may not hold the weight of heavy decorations or lighting fixtures such as chandeliers. Do your homework regarding all the properties of the material of your choice.
● Since it is installed below the actual ceiling, false ceilings can considerably reduce the room's height. Therefore, it is prudent to use them only in large rooms.
● It may be an earthquake hazard since it is not a part of the solid house structure.
● Many false ceiling materials are known to sag if not installed well.
At Beautiful Homes, we provide a large selection of products and services to cater to your interior design requirements. When you opt for our design services, our professionals consider your needs and wants for both functionality and aesthetics. All our clients receive custom interior design solutions.
Visit our website to check the various products and services we offer. You can also glimpse through all the projects executed by us so far. You may book a 3D consultation call to understand the project's process, design, and execution or walk into our stores
across India to know more about our offerings. Our experts are dedicated to providing a personalized experience unique to each customer.
Fill out this form and our Customer Experience Specialist will reach out to you.
Wallpaper has the ability to transform the walls with such speed and impact. Choosing the right wallpaper however, can be intimidating, so here are a few tips to help make your decision easier
If you have a balcony or staircase one of the most important things to take care of is the railing that is added to it
From local materials and natural fabrics to earth tones, clean lines and minimal décor, take inspiration from these serene Ahmedabad interiors
Smart homes and home automation are the future of interior design. As technology becomes commonplace in contemporary interiors, here are a few elements that you can add to your homes for added comfort and convenience