Click Here for a 3D design consultation with our interior designers!
Balconies are the perfect spots for an indoor-outdoor living moment. But often, the balcony space is a forgotten area in the home. As we come out of the pandemic, we've realized the importance of having access to the outdoors. Turn your balcony into an oasis with this guide on how to design a balcony to make the most of this much-coveted space.
To maximize the functionality and the style quotient of the balcony space, you must get the balcony layout right.
Be it for a breakfast area, a reading nook, a dining space or a conversation area— you will require comfortable balcony seating. Here are a few options to choose from:
● Wicker or rattan sofas and chairs will complement the outdoorsy vibes of the balcony.
● Fold-away benches and a small round table would work in a small balcony layout.
● A Saarinen table with 4 to 6 chairs would make an excellent spot for entertaining in a large balcony plan. Get a mid-century modern couch
and center table to complement it, and you're good to go.
● Do it the desi way by creating floor seating with a few cushions, mats and pillows. Use traditional motifs and textiles for some pizzazz.
● If you have an overhang, do not miss out on the opportunity to install a jhoola or at least a chair swing. Balcony design ideas with swings
make for a snug and irresistible reading nook.
You can never have enough storage, especially when you live in a small house or apartment— even the balcony is not off-limits. Use these tips to up your storage game with balcony storage:
● Get seating with built-in storage such as couches, benches, ottomans etc.
● Install open shelves to use up the vertical space.
● If it is a reading nook, or if you want to turn a part of the balcony into a bar, look for armoires, shelved chests, etc., for additional balcony
The kind and number of furniture you require for your balcony would entirely depend on the function you want it to serve. Just ensure that the outdoor furniture material can withstand weather and clean up easily.
● Create a cozy nest to cocoon in with a wide comfy couch and a
throw blanket. Don't forget to add a small table to hold your
drink, plate or book.
● Pick up a beautiful wire table and chairs for a traditional
● Turn your balcony into a boho haven with a low-profile L-shaped upholstered couch, a couple of ottomans, a large rug area and a few
cushions for floor seating. Don't forget to keep it colorful and incorporate pattern mixing.
● A couple of rocking chairs or bean bags are excellent for laid-back balcony interior ideas.
● Design a balcony with a gorgeous sky bar with bar stools, a high table, a bench, and cabinetry.
The crucial elements in any décor are color, patterns, furniture, textile and lighting. Elevate your décor by incorporating all these factors into your balcony ideas. Here are a few fun décor ideas that you can easily add to your balcony plan.
● Deck up your balcony with war garland or fairy lights.
● Showcase your plants in a myriad of pots and planters.
● Get a trellis and a climbing ivy for an accent wall.
● Or you can use patterned tiles to create an accent wall.
● Layer textiles with different patterns and textures for visual intrigue. It'll also help create an inviting space.
● Add a pop of color to your balcony space by painting your furniture.
The layout you choose for your balcony would depend on its size and shape. Consider some of the following options:
● In large terrace-like balconies, you can have multiple functional areas such as a conversation area, bar, dining area etc.
● Choose an L-shaped, U-shaped or enclosed arrangement for a conversation area to make socializing easier.
● In narrow balconies, linear arrangements work well. For linear
layouts, make sure that seating is overlooking the balcony. If it
is wide enough, you can try a parallel configuration.
● Try to set up only one functional area in a small space to avoid
a kitschy and cramped look.
● Build a deck to create zones.
● Wall-mounted fold-away furniture will give you the flexibility
to use the balcony as you please.
Gardens are excellent balcony interior ideas to up the beauty quotient and bring a slice of nature to your home.
● Nothing can truly match the beauty and efficiency of vertical gardens, so they remain a popular choice.
● Hang your plants with jute ropes for a boho-biophilic look.
● Create an accessible step garden against a wall or the railing.
● Free up the floor space with balcony plant hangers and open shelves.
● Add trellis or railing extension to create a breathtaking European style climbing balcony garden.
● Step one is to determine the function of the space. For
example, suppose you want it to be a personal nook or a
social area. In that case, you will have to accommodate
balcony furniture in your layout. If you want it to be a green
space, you're going to need a balcony garden layout, and so
● The next step in the balcony plan is to pick the style or theme
for balcony décor. Chart out all your balcony ideas, create a
mood board and see what works and what doesn't.
● Measure out the area to come up with a balcony layout. This
will help you get the right-sized furniture, the correct amount
of lighting, etc.
● Choose the exact colors, furniture, lighting and flooring.
● Once everything is in place, it is time to decorate and
● The final step is to edit. If something looks out of space or
doesn't need to be there, remove it. Editing is what turns a
good design into a great one.
● There isn't a particular size that a balcony should be.
● The size varies based on the building's size and the regulations
in your area.
● You can always get it customized if you're building your own
● Opt for a lighter color scheme for your balcony design.
● Enhance the height in a small balcony layout. Hang up your
plants, install pendant light, etc.
● Use directional patterns for flooring and walls to move the eye
around the space.
● Make the balcony layout an extension of the room it is
attached to. This'll create a sense of continuity and make both
areas appear more expansive.
● Keep the doors and windows wide open and decorate the
balcony in style similar to the room for a unified look.
● Opt for built-in furniture such as benches or a folding table.
● Free up the floor by creating a vertical garden, hanging up your plants or perching them on the parapet.
● Choose furniture proportional to the space, such as a bistro table with a matching chair or a two-seat bench with a stool.
● Multipurpose furniture works well in small balcony layouts.
● In terms of ease of cleaning and maintaining, closed balconies are a better option than open ones. It'll protect the furniture and everything
else from elements and dust.
● At the very least, consider installing shades and windbreakers.
● If you can, add a drain to the balcony to avoid clogging and seepage.
● Ensure that the furniture and other materials used are weatherproof. If they're not naturally weatherproof, check if they can be treated or
primed to achieve the results.
● Materials that can easily be wiped down, such as tiles, are also pretty low maintenance.
● All materials that you use for home flooring can be used for balconies.
● Research how to care for and maintain each material since it will be exposed to weather elements.
● Concrete, tiles, wood, etc., are all standard options.
● Steel is durable and can be made rust and corrosion-proof. It can be used in combination with other materials as well.
● Wood's aesthetic is unparalleled but can rarely withstand elemental damage.
● Glass is an excellent option if you want an uninterrupted view. Opt for tempered glass to ensure security in cases of storms, earthquakes, etc.
● Cast-iron railings can make a statement like no other. When maintained periodically, it can last a lifetime.
● Aluminum is lightweight, durable, and rust and corrosion-resistant. It is available in various designs and finishes, making it a fan favorite.
● Add privacy screens to your Balcony layout ideas where necessary. They are a sure-shot way of ensuring privacy but can be expensive and
may block out light.
● A translucent or frosted glass partition is another option.
● A trellis with plants also works well.
● Curtains and blinds are another great way to maintain privacy. Just ensure that they can withstand damage from weather.
Are you a DIYer? Create the perfect balcony plan with our products- paint, wallpaper, furniture, lighting, textiles— we've got it all. Or you can collaborate with the professionals at Beautiful Homes to do it. They are well versed in all interior design styles and can design the best home balcony design. Be it a small balcony layout, balcony garden layout or something else that you want; our experts are dedicated to providing tailored design solutions to each customer.
Visit our website to check various options offered and the projects
executed by us so far. You may book a 3D consultation call to understand the project's process, design, and execution or walk into any of our stores across India to know more about our offerings. Our current home stores are spread across Amritsar, Tumakuru, Raipur, Jaipur, New Delhi, Kochi, Karur, Coimbatore, Bengaluru and Nashik. In addition, we are in the process of opening up state-of-the-art stores across several cities.
Fill out this form and our Customer Experience Specialist will reach out to you.
One of the best ways to make your home look both welcoming and personal is to have a cohesive colour palette. And since picking an entire scheme might feel dunting, we’ve rounded up some insider secrets to help make your decisions easier
Wallpaper is the most gorgeous way to give a space a new look or enhance the décor of a room and is a very popular trend in 2022. Here we take a look at some inspiring wallpaper ideas to adorn your walls
Fitness expert, personal trainer and professional footballer, Jyoti Ann Burrett lists the products and equipment you need for an exercise space at home, and shares a workout routine for you to use them efficiently!
Shoes are expensive and investing in some clever shoe storage solutions for your shoe collection is essential. Discover our stylish shoe rack design ideas for an aesthetic and functional space