Find all the answers to your waterproofing queries in one place


Firstly, there is no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach to waterproofing. For instance, did you know that there are special products to seal and waterproof the masonry joints around door frames, window frames and switchboards, and different ones for sanitaryware, glass and metal joints? That’s the thing about waterproofing—if it’s not done right with specialised products to address different problem areas, it could be a wasted exercise. The Asian Paints website has a host of information/videos on the application products and recommended products to treat different areas of your home. We suggest you look up and read all you can. As for all those questions buzzing on top of your mind right now, we got answers straight from the experts:

First things first, is damp-proofing the same as waterproofing?
No, waterproofing covers more areas and issues like cracks and gaps, tiling, paint peeling and efflorescence; it also strengthens the concrete.

Should waterproofing be done along with painting?
No. To get the best results, waterproofing should be done before painting. In case of moderate/severe dampness/leakage, it should be addressed immediately.

How long does the process take? 
It depends on the nature of treatment. In case of new construction, three to five days. In case of old structures or repair work, keep more patience in hand—it will take at least two weeks.

How long will the effects last? Do I need to do it every year?
If the source of the dampness/leakage is properly cured, you won’t need to do it till the next home painting cycle.

Okay, so when is the best time to start the waterproofing process? 
Ideally, when your house is being constructed. It’s the failproof way to ensure that new or small leakages/dampness don't become a bigger hindrance in the future.


Image courtesy, Anna Violet /

What kind of properties are more susceptible to water seepage issues? 
Independent homes, bungalows and top floors of buildings are more susceptible to water seepage due to weather conditions and expansion/contraction of external surfaces.

Is the treatment the same for apartments and bungalows?
No. Besides a lot more external waterproofing, bungalows also need heatproofing to reduce surface temperature. Bungalows are also vulnerable to rise in groundwater level, which causes dampness in walls.

If you live in an apartment, you need to focus on protecting the top coat paint from surface dampness arising from areas like bathrooms/kitchens.

Which parts of my house are more likely to be problem areas?
Every corner that is prone to leakage/dampness—bathrooms, basement—as well as the parts that are exposed to rain—terrace, water tanks and vertical walls. For areas that are likely to develop cracks and gaps, measures can be taken to ensure that they don't arise by accounting for them during the construction phase itself.

What should I be aware of about waterproofing at various stages of construction?
Read as much as you can about the variety of products that are available to treat different problems that are unique to different areas of your house. For instance, terraces and exterior walls don’t just need waterproofing and heat proofing but also need to be treated with products that can bridge cracks. For example, in case of sunken slabs in bathrooms/walls adjacent to bathrooms, Asian Paints offers products such as DampBlock2K that can be added as a preventive coating against leakages.

Asian Paints also offers Vitalia Neo, an integral waterproofing compound, which is mixed with cement at the time of construction to provide a basic level of waterproofing and also strengthens concrete.

What if I don’t want to go through all these hassles? Are there any quick fixes?
Unfortunately, there are no quick fixes. If the surface is treated but the source of the leakage is not identified and sealed, the damages will be visible again in a couple of months.

Is there a waterproofing warranty cover? What will it offer?
Yes. A warranty offers the assurance of product performance if applied as per the requisite guidelines.

The big question: how much does it cost?
The costs vary as per nature of the issue or construction. It could range anywhere between Rs. 10/sq. ft. to Rs. 40/sq ft.

Where can I find competent applicators?
Contact the experts at Asian Paints. They can identify and help solve the problem via expert application of specialised preventive and curative products. You could also avail of services like masonry, plumbing, tile fixing and tile grouting based on what you need.


A comprehensive list of everything you need for waterproofing your home by Asian Paints SmartCare


Damp Proof
Damp Proof is a waterproofing and heatproofing treatment for new constructions which offers protection of up to seven bars hydrostatic pressure and reduces the surface temperature by five degrees. It is ideally suited for terraces, vertical walls, parapets and sun shades.

Damp Sheath Exteriors
An economical waterproofing solution, this can be used as an exterior waterproofing primer in place of an ordinary exterior primer and is meant for terraces and vertical walls.

Textured Crack Filler
This long-term cure for exterior plaster cracks can fill gaps of up to 10 mm in exterior surfaces.

Epoxy TriBlock
This is the ultimate waterproofing coating for water tanks and other cement-based water retaining structures.


Damp Sheath Interior
A specially-designed undercoat for interior vertical walls, this prevents surface dampness and protects the top coat of the paint from damp patches.

Crack Seal
This superior compound is meant to be used for cracks on interior surfaces up to 3mm and is available as a ready-to-apply paste.


Damp Block 2K
Meant for sunken areas such as bathrooms, toilets and balconies, this solution provides lasting protection against efflorescence.

Bathroom Waterproofing Membrane
This is especially recommended for apartment bathrooms due to its long-lasting nature and is meant to be used on walls and floors.


Vitalia Neo
This integral waterproofing compound is mixed with cement at the time of construction to provide a basic level of waterproofing and for strengthening the concrete.

Repair Polymer
This high performance binder is recommended as a strengthening and bonding agent for concrete and mortar during construction.


This acrylic sealant for masonry joints is water and UV resistant and is apt for usage on joints around door frames, window frames and switchboards.

This durable and odourless sealant is used for glass, sanitary, wood and metal joints and can withstand joint movement of 25%.

Next up…

A guide to choosing the right wood and wooden materials for your home

Hard wood, soft wood, engineered, or MDF – if you are looking to buy furniture but are confused by these words, read on

The only 7 tools you need to fix things

With the help of experts we have put together a list of handy tools to have at home, because sometimes you just need to hang that painting yourself

Get your exterior walls in shape with this ultimate painting and maintenance guide

Painting the exterior surfaces of your home takes very different planning and preparation from doing interior spaces. This is a comprehensive guide to the entire process so that your home is ready for the cool weather

Designer Mangesh Lungare transformed a balcony, and shared his tips so you can do it too

The right shade and texture of Asian Paints exterior paint, plus a selection of elegant accessories turned a small balcony into the centre-spot of a party

Other topics we’re covering